Dysmey Blog Archives > 2009 > Spring Vacation 2009, Part II

Spring Vacation 2009, Part II


In the morning I moved the rest of the furniture back into the bedroom. I used the opportunity to move some boxed junk (mostly old school papers and magazines) from my bedroom to the upper room. Then I cleaned out stuff from the living room, especially under the staircase, and vacuumed the carpet.

In the afternoon I visited my dentist to have my teeth cleaned. I dropped off some library books at the Bracken. Then I visited Lowe's for some stuff to use in fixing the back gutter, only to discover that I did not bring my debit card with me. Argh!

I fixed the downspout end of the new gutter anyway, by lowering the brackets and drop outlet by between ½ and one inch. I also put in some new plastic shims on the problem slip joint. This time I tested the gutter by pouring water from a bucket into the far end of the gutter to see how the water would drain. The rain this evening will provide a further test.

Also in the evening I moved the furniture in the living room so that the half next to the staircase was open. Then I shampooed the carpet in that half of the living room so that it would dry overnight.


I shifted the furniture out of the other half of the living room, the half closest to the street corner. This half I shampooed in the morning. After I finished, I returned the carpet cleaner to the folks.

The weather kept threatening rain, but I decided to mow the lawn anyway. It was a two-hour job, made that way because the grass had gotten thick during the rainy first part of the week.

But, before doing so, I decided to investigate the big silver moving van parked in front of my house. It turns out that my ex-neighbor had come back to get his remaining things from the house next door.

This evening I drove to Indianapolis for my first Whoosier Network meeting in months. Afterwards we went to a small pizza place called WB Pizza on 62nd and Allisonville. It was really good pizza.

Pizzeria Uno's, the place the WhoNet folks ate at when I last attended, had fallen out of favor with them. And they tried Greek's — once! Evidently one of the WhoNetters was harassed by the management, who accused the guy of theft.


I shifted the furniture in the living room almost back to where it was. The telephone cart went to the bedroom while the old record cabinet is now the new telephone cabinet, after I cleared out the back issues of TV Guide. I needed the space at the front window cleared for the air conditioner this summer.

I wanted to do something on my vacation that resembled something that I would do on my vacation. So I went to Muncie and ate at the Olive Garden. It was my only major meal of the day, given how much I ate. I was lucky to have gotten a table: It was graduation day at Ball State, and the place was packed with ex-students and their parents and relatives celebrating the happy day.

Before going home, I bought some items at Lowe's, including a hutch for my dresser and a network cable conduit for the cables from my DVD player.


I opened the windows in the living room, bedroom and upper room in order to air the rooms out. The air smells of a combination of Febreze (fabric deodorant), carpet shampoo and some remnants of cat urine. To do this I had to turn off the furnace because the air outside was cool.

I installed Vista 64-bit Home Edition on my main computer. It turns out not to be such a pain in the ass that I had thought it would be. All the programs I use on the main computer installed without any problem except Adobe Reader, which I had to reinstall, and some audio-dependent programs like Winamp and Bioshock. Installing the drivers for the audio and Intel chipset did not help. In the end I had to set the shortcut to the Bioshock program so that it ran in Windows-XP compatibility mode.

Posted on the Dysmey Blog on 10 May 2009.