It has been a bad year that has just past.
- Madre broke her leg slipping on ice in March. She spent the next three months in a rehab house in Marion, followed by six months of physical therapy. Madre can walk now, but only a few meters without a cane. At least the house got improvements such as handrails for the basement and back porch steps. I took care of the cat, Callie, at my house while Madre was in rehab.
- Vickie has completed her move to Escanaba on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and has started a blog on her work in rehabilitating her new house. All her stuff has moved with her, has been sold or given away, or else disposed of. The old house is now empty, and slowly falling apart from the termites and elements.
- It was not for lack of funds but for lack of people: After ten years, the Friends of the Fairmount Public Library was down to its original members, and unable to attract new ones. December's Annual Meeting was the last.
- The town, finally conceding that the old high middle school cannot be saved and has become a hazard, has started to tear it down.
- My part of Indiana no longer has a legitimate representative in the state's General Assembly. The guy who got elected under an ethics cloud resigned, and his political party selected his replacement. Since that guy is not elected, he does not truly represent us.